Thursday, March 8, 2012

Training Dream/Nightmare #1

Training Dream/Nightmare #1

So a manager comes up to me one day and says, "We need training."

I smile and tell him, "That’s fine since I'm the training guy." I point to the special "Training Guy" hat I'm wearing and matching yellow wing tips.

"Yes! All of my people need training and lots of it!!"
Pulling out my especially large hypodermic full of "Training" I give everyone 100cc's of Great Training (TM) and some tablets they should take for a day or so to make sure the training sticks. I tell them if they come down with any advanced learning symptoms like a second language or a PhD, they should stop taking the medicine and see their local trainer.
I head back to my office feeling good knowing that everything is fine in the training world. Maybe I'll take a long lunch. Then I woke up......actually I tuned back in to what the manager was telling me.
"So you’re telling me that the agents are throwing stuff on the ground?"
"Yes" said the manager.
"And you want a training on not to throw stuff on the ground?"
"Yes."
"And this is a training issue ...because...?"
"Because they keep doing it."
"And you told them to stop it...right?"
"No...we're not trainers."
"So you want me to build an "advanced Not Throwing Stuff On The Ground class?"
"Yes," said the manager, smiling.
"So we'll have some lecture, maybe a game or two and for the final we'll do a role-play where we all walk around the classroom not throwing stuff on the floor." I said jokingly.
"Can we start classes on Tuesday?" he asked in a dead serious tone.

Part of our job as trainers is to educate our customers on what training isn't. That can be very hard. It's hard because our internal customers might not know where the line is between supervision and training. But education is our job and we need to be patient and help them understand.

In most cases training serves to introduce new facts and concepts to a learner, whereas curbing incorrect use of tools or procedures is supervision. The line is very hazy and, when in doubt, I've always defaulted to "train it."
This stream of thought is additionally muddied by lack of training resources or low call volume, as in a call center. You may want to train a subject brought to your attention, but be unable to due to resource restrictions. On the other hand you might train something you normally wouldn't if your internal customer is experiencing poor efficiencies in the center.

It's a balancing act.
And, if you're interested in seeing the notes on "Advanced Not Throwing Stuff On The Ground Class," I still have them, in case you're interested.

No comments: